Friday, November 26, 2010

Trying Solids: Oooh Sweet Potatoes ... How Stefan loved you!

Serving Up Sweet Potatoes!



Today was a big day in our home, we moved from rice cereal to sweet potato. I was having a lot of apprehensions over what to start with, how to do it and when is the right time.

My little man is a good eater. He is primarily having breast milk right now with the addition of formula at night. But with him getting more and more hungry, the introduction of solids was calling me!

After a lot of discussion and reading, I finally got my whits together! And it was probably the easiest thing I have done in a long time.


Really there are 2 ways to do this: Bake or Boil!

* Bake method is 1 hour at 400 degrees Fahrenheit
OR
* Boil method is till soft (about 15 min).


I would beg to argue that the bake method would be better for nutrients not boiling out, but it is truly a personal opinion!

After this I simply cut the sweet potato into chunks about 1/4 of an inch thick and prepared these to be pureed. Fortunately I was given a baby food puree machine that can be purchased at any baby store. Other options are using your food processor or your hand mixer.

After some reading today, I did find that a few chunks are OK. I will link a few references below for further reading on this point. At the first try, I opted for using a fork in the bowl to get it to the correct consistency that I felt comfortable with.

After the hard work was done the rest was all about the GOOD TIMES!
I served up a bowl of the good stuff and let Stefan dig in & he absolutely LOVED IT!










Last but not least ... One Sweet Potato made 6 servings for the week to test the little mans allergies and liking for this new culinary creation!

1 comment:

  1. This link is also fantastic about another mom adding solids to your babies diet!

    http://justinliew.com/tonightsdinner/?p=704

    ReplyDelete